![]() |
| Fernandez-Pardo |
Newcastle United have completed the signing of highly-rated Belgium international forward Matias Fernandez-Pardo from French side LOSC Lille for an undisclosed fee.
The 21-year-old has signed a long-term contract with the Magpies and becomes the club’s eighth first-team signing of a transformative summer transfer window. He will wear the No. 20 shirt at St. James’ Park.
Fernandez-Pardo arrives in Newcastle with a growing reputation as one of Europe’s promising young attacking talents. Capable of playing through the middle or from wide positions, the forward is known for his pace, intensity, technical ability and direct style of play.
His performances for Lille last season helped the French club secure UEFA Champions League qualification, further strengthening his credentials ahead of his move to the Premier League.
Speaking after completing the transfer, Fernandez-Pardo expressed his excitement about joining Newcastle.
“I’m really, really happy to be here and very proud to be at such a big club,” he said.
The young forward revealed that conversations with head coach Matthias Jaissle played a major role in his decision to join the club.
“I spoke to the head coach and he really showed how much he wanted me to be here. In terms of my own career progression, it made complete sense to come, so I didn’t hesitate at all.”
Fernandez-Pardo also spoke about Newcastle’s attacking identity and the famous atmosphere at St. James’ Park.
“I’m still young, I’m still hungry, and that’s why I’m here. I want to make that progress with Newcastle. I can’t wait to start the wonderful adventure here.”
Your new number 20 is here 🇧🇪✨ pic.twitter.com/6D6HqvgKhn
— Newcastle United (@NUFC) September 1, 2026
Jaissle excited by new signing
Newcastle head coach Matthias Jaissle welcomed the Belgian forward, describing him as a highly technical player with explosive qualities.
“Matias is a highly technical player with explosiveness in his game. He can score and assist, he has courage, and he has the ability to take players on,” Jaissle said.
The Newcastle boss believes supporters will enjoy watching the new arrival, while the club’s coaching staff will focus on helping him develop further.
Wilson: ‘A really important signing’
Newcastle sporting director Ross Wilson described Fernandez-Pardo as a “really important signing” for the club.
Wilson revealed that the 21-year-old had been Newcastle’s top target as far back as May, despite the twists and turns that delayed the move until the closing stages of the transfer window.
He said the club remained engaged with the player throughout the summer and eventually secured the deal after a lengthy process.
According to Wilson, Fernandez-Pardo fits Newcastle’s recruitment strategy, bringing speed, intensity and work rate to the squad while still having significant room for development.
![]() |
| New Magpie |
The signing completes another major addition to a reshaped Newcastle side as the club continues to build for the future under Jaissle.
With his versatility, attacking ability and experience in France, Fernandez-Pardo will now look to make his mark in the Premier League and begin what Newcastle supporters hope will be a successful spell on Tyneside.




